SAVE OR SPLURGE: ELF BROW KIT VS JORDANA BROW POWDER DUO

09:44



I thought about starting a series sharing my thoughts on two beauty products that serve the same purpose, one more expensive than the other and ultimately giving advice on which one to go for. So I present to you my first SAVE or SPLURGE series.

Today I am giving my honest opinions about two eyebrow products
1. Elf Brow Kit- NGN2,000
2. Jordana Brow Powder Duo- NGN650


ELF BROW KIT- I wanted to step up my brow game a bit and I started using a matte brown eyeshadow from one of my palettes to fill in the gaps in my brows after filling with a pencil first. I was loving the result but I wanted to explore more on actual brow products. I came across this one from Elf and purchased it. It comes with a brow wax (which I believe is supposed to take the place of a pencil) and then a powder in a lighter shade. Got mine in the shade 'Medium'. 


At first swatch, it was okay but I quickly realised how I had to use both the wax and powder mixed together to achieve something average and I wasn't liking it. Also, I realised using just the powder on top of a pencil worked better even though the pigmentation was a bit flat. The wax has the tendency to make my brows look really oily as the day progressed. The mini brush that comes with the palette is soft enough to apply the product but then this product itself rates slightly below average for me.


Wax above, powder below.


JORDANA BROW POWDER DUO- Anytime I go to Sahad stores here in Abuja, I always head to their makeup stands. Its almost like reflex for me. Recently they added a Jordana stand and my eye caught this product. I couldn't swatch it in the store as there were no testers and I was really skeptical. But for the cheap price, I decided to give it a shot plus why not have two powders in different shades. I got the shade 'Dark'.


The following day, I filled my brows with a pencil as usual and then used one of the powders to fill in the gaps and top it off. Imagine my surprise at the pigmentation and it kept my brows looking full and bold all freaking day. I couldn't believe it. Truly dynamites come in small packages. Lol. The brush that comes with it is practically useless but who needs it, you can use any of your angled brow brushes for this. I'm hopelessly in love with this product.


Light shade above, dark shade below


MY VERDICT IS........... SAVE!

Save on the Elf Brow Kit and get this one from Jordana instead. It is inexpensive but does the job amazingly well. By my calculation you will be saving 1,350 naira. Imagine!! You can get this at Sahad Stores, Central Area if you are in Abuja. It is also available but slightly more expensive on Konga.


I hope this was able to help if you are in doubt about choosing an affordable brow product. Expect more save or splurge series soon.

Ciao!


Thanks for stopping by..❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️


All personal photographs and pictorials are owned by www.thestylecheapskate.blogspot.com (Water marked or not……Except otherwise stated) and they may NOT be used in any way without prior consent of the author. Legal actions would be taken.

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. Love the idea of this new segment. I usually use only a pencil for my eyebrows but perhaps it's time I try using eyeshadows. I'm now on the hunt for the Jordana one. Could you do a post on foundations maybe, like cheaper options.
    Princess Audu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Yup, a matte brown eyeshadow is a good option to use on top of the pencil so it doesn't get waxy through the day. You can get the Jordana kit in Sahad Stores if you're in Abj. I will look at getting affordable foundations though I don't know of any that is less than 1,500 naira.

      Delete
  2. For some reason, I didn't read the Jordana in the title, and I thought for sure E.L.F. would be the Save option since they're pretty inexpensive. LOL. But yeah, Jordana is a cheapie too. It would have been nice to see them on your eyebrows for better visualization.

    Either way, I use Jordana pencil (in Lavish Brown) for my eyebrows.

    Nice series to start.

    Berry Dakara Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lool. They are both cheapies though and its so great the the cheaper option worked better. Aww, I'll look at swatching the products on the relevant areas nxt time. Jordana is sure a great brand.

      Delete
  3. Jordana for the win all day everyday
    I have oily skin so wenenever I use just pencils, before I get to my destination half of it is gone.. not until I started "locking" my brows with jordana brow powder thats what I call d method "locking"
    Sometimes even the cheapest of products does an amazing job
    My first time here
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Another Jordana testimony. I'm not alone in this. Welcome dear, good to have you here.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes cheaper is better. Although I've been using the Zaron Brow kit for a while now and its almost spent. Its a good product as well but I'll be on the hunt for the Jordana brow kit coz its cheaper. Loving this segment already :)

    evitaspeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi dear. Oh I haven't tried the one from Zaron. I bet its good. Zaron is such a good brand. Try out this Jordana product, its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not heard of the Jordana line...must be something we don't have here:(

    Laura
    www.24-7style.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, Alma is here again with more ways to make me spend looool. I always only use eye pencil but there is no harm in trying the Jordana. off to sahad stores asap. meanwhile, Alma, thanks to you, I made my first Asos order last week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it gets here alright. Love the blog post as always, keep up the good job.

    PS: I know that you may have seen this already or you may have even gone past this stage in your wedding planning but I thought of you when I saw this article on Bellanaija http://www.bellanaija.com/2016/01/olutunu-oyelola-a-z-of-planning-a-nigerian-wedding/ best of luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loool Hi Ify! I always look forward to your comments. C'mon 650 naira is not so much to spend on a product, a good one at that. Just let me know what you think when you use it. Be sure to use an angled eyebrow brush to fill in your already pencil-filled brows with the powder. That's how I get the best results. Oh and as for Asos, you don't have a problem. It will get to your local post office in perfect condition. The post office will contact you. Let me know how that goes too. Yes, I have seen that BellaNaija link. Thank you so much dear.

      Delete
  8. I was using the Zaron brow kit and it was good, but in my bid to be (more) minimalist with my lifestyle, i ditched it and now just shade with a pencil, followed by brushing with a spoolie.
    Great post.


    Jewelzmag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay I guess. As long as your brows don't get waxy or oily much later in the day.
      Thank you so much.

      Delete
    2. That's okay I guess. As long as your brows don't get waxy or oily much later in the day.
      Thank you so much.

      Delete
  9. Hi alma,thanks for the post. I actually 'dumped' Jordana eyebrow pencil cos it started looking reddish, pls can you do a video showing how to use the brow powder. Thanks. Patiently waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Oma. Hmm i can't believe I'm just seeing this.phew!! Making a video can be a lot of work, thats why i have been shying away from it. But hey I'll definately remember you once i begin.

      Delete

Please drop your comments here. I love hearing from you! Also, tick the 'Notify Me' box if you want to be notified when I reply your message!